Friday 23 January 2015

The Top Ten Finales in Classical Music (in my own, completely un-biased, totally subjective opinion)


I love a good finale, who doesn’t? Writing one is a real art, in my opinion. To try and end what is sometimes close to an hour’s worth of music in 5-10 minutes is no mean feat. Below is a list of what I believe to be the top ten finales in classical music. Anyway, enjoy!

Beethoven - Symphony no. 5, movement IV
performed by Leonard Bernstein and the Vienna Philharmonic



“It’s ended…no it hasn’t…yes it has…no, off it goes again.” The thought process when listening to arguably one of Beethoven’s most popular works is something like that, anyway. This is a great example of the mastery of Beethoven’s art; just when you think it’s all over, he recapitulates the theme in another different way. This, accompanied with the “tonic, dominant” repetition in the final bars show just what a finale can be; a whole lot of fun. Bernstein’s conducting here is fascinating to watch – arms flailing everywhere, but control second to none.


Mahler - Symphony no. 8, Alles Vergängliche
performed by Sir Simon Rattle, National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, City of Birmingham Symphony Youth Chorus, London Symphony Chorus, Toronto Children's Chorus, Sydney Philharmonia Choirs and City of Birmingham Symphony Chorus



This was actually one of the first pieces of classical music I listened to. My best friend at school showed me this exact video; we plugged it into his dad’s speakers and turned it up to full volume. I don’t think it will ever stop amazing me when I listen to it. To go from the extremely quiet tranquillity to earth-shatteringly loud in the space of 5 minutes is madness; it is just incredible.


Strauss - Im Abendrot from Four Last Songs
performed by Jessye Norman, Wolfgang Sawallisch and Orchestre de la Suisse




One of two peaceful and quiet finales I’ve chosen on the list. Jessye Norman must have been born to sing this famous song cycle. The final movement is absolute emotional heartbreak tinged with a reflective feel. When sung like this, I can’t think of many other pieces as beautiful.


Shostakovich - Symphony no. 5, movement IV
performed by Leonard Bernstein the New York Philharmonic Orchestra




I saw this piece performed at the BBC Proms back when I was about 16. Unfortunately it wasn’t Bernstein and the New York Phil that day, but it certainly blew me away. Tinged with irony against the Soviet government; you can almost hear Shostakovich laughing to himself as those endless high A’s go on and on. The variety of speeds used by conductors for the end of the finale is astounding. I chose this Bernstein recording mainly because of the slowing down in tempo right at the end. So emphatic. 


Mahler - Symphony no. 9, movement IV 
performed by Sir Roger Norrington the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra

(nb. movement IV starts at 54:40 on the video)

The finale of Mahler’s final completed symphony ends in utter tragedy. As the final chord dies away with the direction “ersterbend” (dying), you can hear the cataclysmic death Mahler is trying to portray. It couldn’t be further away from the other emphatic finales listed here, but it still makes my list of favourites. One of the most emotional pieces of music I have ever listened to, our Patron does a wonderful job here with the Stuttgart Radio Symphony orchestra.


Shostakovich - Symphony no. 6, movement III
performed by Valery Gergiev and the Orchestra of Theatre Mariinsky


 (nb. movement III starts at 25:55)

Yes, I know, another Shostakovich…I only discovered this last September and haven’t stopped listening since. Such an exciting finale to what is a rather solemn, contemplative symphony in the opening two movements. Gergiev takes it at the quickest tempo I’ve heard here; as a flautist I do feel for them slightly!


Sibelius - Symphony no. 2, movement IV
performed by George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra

 (nb. movement IV starts at 28:25)

As the dramatic climax of the third movement merges into the grandioso finale, a typically heroic Sibelius theme enters and pure music glory is heard. As the longest extract shown here, the absolute beauty continues for nearly 15 minutes. It is one of those pieces that you just want to carry on past the end. The heroic theme returns again right at the end played by emphatic trumpets - classical music perfection.


Respighi - Roman Festivals, part 4
performed by Vasily Petrenko and the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain



I only came across this piece last summer at the Proms as part of the Roman Trilogy (Fountains of Rome, Pines of Rome and Roman Festivals). The finale of this piece is in some ways indescribable. Presented here by the NYO and Vasily Petrenko, it is absolute pandemonium from start to finish. Just when you think it’s about to end, suddenly it kicks off in a different direction. An electrifying piece to see live and an army of percussionists needed.


Tchaikovsky - Act IV, finale
performed by the Royal Swedish Ballet



What do I need to say about this? Dramatic, emphatic and beautiful all mixed into one.


Stravinsky - Firebird, finale
performed by Valery Gergiev and the Vienna Philharmonic


(nb. finale starts at 41.30)

I really had to include this, didn’t I? This particular recording by Gergiev and the Vienna Philharmonic is truly something to behold. Gergiev’s control of those final brass chords is astonishing, they hit you like a wall of sound. The most special aspect of this particular recording, though, is the final chord. I’m not sure I knew an orchestra could keep getting louder as they do here; Gergiev only uses his eyebrows to gesture to the bass drum player to get louder, I wish I had powerful eyebrows…




So there we have it. I am certain that you will all have your own preferences and favourites, just as I am sure you will disagree with a lot of my choices. But that is the wonderful thing about classical music, everyone has their own opinion on what is “the best”, but there really is something for everyone.  Please do comment below with your ideas and opinions, it would be great to hear what you think. Maybe yours will be less biased towards Shostakovich and Mahler…

You can find out more about Southern Sinfonia by visiting our Website, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment