Tuesday 15 January 2013

Speed interview with Sasha Calin...


Here at Southern Sinfonia, we are all very excited about our first Cafe Concert of 2013! Taking place on Friday 22 February at Corn Exchange, Newbury and featuring Sasha Calin (oboe) with Simon Lane (piano), playing a very special programme of Britten, Bach and Saint-Saens, it promises to be fantastic way to start the weekend. We caught up with Sasha to ask her a few quick questions...


What has been your career highlight so far?
Playing an excerpt from the Der Rosenkavalier (the 'rose giving' scene) at the opening of the Salzburg Festival in 2010. It was my first concert with the Mozarteum and it has a gift of an oboe solo. Christa Ludwig (one of the best ever 'Octavian's) and Daniel Barenboim were in the audience. Pretty stressful but an amazing experience!

How do you relax when you aren't performing?
I go to both ends of the physical spectrum: I either go running, or I sit on the sofa for hours on end watching TV series. At the moment I'm taking a break from Grey's Anatomy to watch the third series of The Killing. I've also just taken up the guitar which I guess I'd put somewhere between the two, in terms of physicality!

When/ where are you most happy?
When a concert's gone well and, possibly after a modest celebratory drink with colleagues (?!), I'm cycling home past the beautiful mountains in Salzburg.

If you could travel back in time where would you go?
North America pre-1492. I think it's one of the most beautiful and environmentally versatile countries in the world, and I'd love to see what it was like before the Big Mac arrived. 

What is the most played piece of music on your Itunes/ in your CD collection?
The song "Hallelujah" in any one of its many guises - Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley and k.d.lang are the versions that I know, but I'm sure there are more out there!

Other than your Café Concert with Southern Sinfonia, what else have you got planned for 2013?
2013 is looking good in terms of its musical opportunities: there's a lot of Mozart (as you might expect!), but there's also a fair bit of Brahms and Tchaikovsky thrown in, plus a tour with Budapest Festival Orchestra to Oman (the middle East is rapidly becoming the new tour destination of choice). In the summer I'm coaching at the Amateur Chamber Music Week in Verbier (Switzerland) which I did a few years ago, and have rarely spent a more fulfilling or entertaining week! Away from the oboe, I'm looking forward to our annual family holiday in Cornwall. It's amazing how living abroad increases the satisfaction of holidaying in England!

For more information about Sasha Calin's upcoming Café Concert and to book tickets, please visit the Southern Sinfonia website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment